The Fleet at Cromarty
In the years befor the First World War, the Cromarty Firth became a major naval base. The entrance to the Cromarty Firth was through a narrow channel between two headlands known as the Sutors. The small town of Cromarty was built on the landward side of the Sutors and the town was justifiably proud of its positiona nd association with the Navy.
Many postcards were published showing the town with the fleet either in the Firth or between the Sutors. Here are some all dated from the period of 1910 to 1914. Most have been postally used.
Taken from the South Sutor. This photograph shows the squadrons of smaller destroyers as well as the capital ships. Author's Collection.
From Invergoron looking towards Cromarty. Author's Collection.